Fair Lakes Townhouse Fire Displaces Four

Fire officials say an early morning fire in Fair Lakes displaced four people and caused an estimated $463,375 in damages to the home involved. The blaze occurred June 20, around 8:38 a.m., in the 4200 block of Zouave Lane.

Responding units from both the Fairfax County and City of Fairfax Fire and Rescue departments saw a column of black smoke as they approached the scene. They then discovered a three-story, end-unit townhouse with a large volume of fire extending from the second floor and through the roof. A second alarm was immediately sounded.

Crews quickly brought the fire under control. No civilians were injured, but one firefighter was transported to the hospital for evaluation of non-life-threatening injuries. None of the occupants were home at the time of the fire. It was reported by a neighbor who saw black smoke and flames coming from the house.

Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental and started on the second-floor deck. They say it was caused by the improper disposal of rags soaked with an oil wood stain. Two additional townhomes sustained external damage due to heat exposure.

Log in to comment